Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, October 11, 2004

First things first. Latest column's up! This week's is Beautiful:

"I’m infinitely fascinated by women’s issues. Being a man, that automatically grants me a perspective that makes most issues facing women very alien to me. Problems that seem to have an obvious answer to me aren’t that simple to womankind. And there are times where I figure it’s best not to get involved; obey the Prime Directive. So, for the most part, I’m just an observer on the sidelines, watching the struggles, and I try to help out when my help is asked for. "

Read it all!

And now, some sad news.

Superman is dead.

Christopher Reeve has just passed away at the age of 52. He died of heart failure. Aww, man. I really loved the Superman films when I was a kid. He truly was one of my childhood heroes. I think I'll pop Superman into my DVD player tomorrow.

Speaking of...here's some movie news I've been sitting on for the past few days. Apparently, Warner Brothers hasn't learned their lesson from Catwoman. They're talking about doing a new Supergirl movie. It's just talk right now. The final decision is, "Let's wait and see how well the new Superman does."

Oh, and can't forget this. Heaven's Gate is primed to make a return to theatres. Heaven's Gate is still infamous as being one of the biggest bombs of all time. It was written and directed by Michael Cimino, and the failure of the film pretty much destroyed his career. See, the story is Cimino won a best director Oscar for his Vietnam War epic The Deer Hunter, so he was pretty much given carte blanch for his next film. The result was Heaven's Gate, which Leonard Maltin's movie guide says, "has everything but a plot." The sprawling, 3 hour and 45 minute film, has something to do with that time in American history when pioneers started giving way to the wild west, and cattle drivers going to war with homesteaders.

But yeah. The film has been completely digitally restored, and the man behind this re-release figures that now, with 24 years having passed since its original release, maybe the stigma of "biggest bomb ever" has finally passed and maybe, just maybe, the film will finally find an audience.

Next Issue...Bobo's Gate

No comments: