Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Its New DVD Day!

Did you know a Dragonlance straight-to-DVD animated movie comes out today? Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight features such celebrity voices as Keifer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless, and veteran voice actors like Jason Marsden, Phil LaMarr, and Michael Rosenbaum. It is, of course, based on the very first Dragonlance novel.

Never read any Dragonlance books myself...I just remember in junior high and high school, when most of my friends started getting into Dungeons and Dragons and all that, they started devouring them. As you know, role playing games are a facet of geek culture I could never get into. Yup, as my friends read their Dragonlance novels, I swore I would never be as nerdy as then, and bury my nose back in Imazadi.

But I digress.

Of course, for all the nerds out there, the big DVD release today is Family Guy presents Blue Harvest. Family Guy's season premiere - an hour-long episode spoofing Star Wars - gets its own special edition DVD. For bonus materials, you get the animatic, a running commentary by Family Guy's creators and animators, and an interview with George Lucas. There's also a speical edition version, which includes some of the fight scenes rendered in 3D, and 3D glasses. Plus, that special edition is in a box full of swag, including a T-shirt, a letter from creator Seth McFarlane, and a booklet The Art of Blue Harvest.




Looking ahead now to future DVD releases. I'm reading all kinds of news stories about how 2008 marks the 50th anniversary of the Smurfs. And that got me to thinking, "Hey! How come The Smurfs and the Magic Flute never got released on DVD?" Well, I did a quick search, and if Amazon.ca is to be believed, The Smurfs and the Magic Flute finally comes out on March 18.

And hey! Keri Russel is playing Wonder Woman...in an upcoming straight-to-DVD animated film.

Yup, because of the popularity of Superman Doomsday and next month's release of Justice League: The New Frontier, Bruce Timm and his gang have gotten the go-ahead to make yet another DC universe straight-to-DVD film. They've chosen Wonder Woman as the subject.

It's most likely to be based on Wonder Woman's origin story, and will be out in about a year or so.

No comments: