Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fishing in the Discount Bin - The A-Team

Welcome back to Fishing in the Discount Bin, where I watch an old movie from my DVD collection and rant about it.  I originally started doing this around 2 years ago as a bit for my podcast, but I stopped because that became too labour-intensive.  But, rather than my old notes go to wasted, and I've started posting it here on my blog.  My notes are currently winding through Christmas 2010/New Years 2011, which is why all the talking about Christmas.  Today, we get to a film I blew my gift cards on that year, The A-Team.  This review is originally dated January 23, 2011.





Still working my way through the Christmas DVDs on Fishing in the Discount Bin.  We've moved away from the ones my co-worker gave me, and now we're going through the ones I bought with gift cards.  I bought two with gift cards, so let's get going with the movie version of the classic 1980s TV show, The A-Team.  I was never intending to pick-up The A-Team on Blu-Ray, but my brother bought his family a Blu-Ray player for Christmas and completely outfitted their home theatre, and The A-Team was the first Blu-Ray they bought, and my nephews were going on and on and on about how it's one of the best movies EVER.  So, my nephew's glowing reviews were stuck in my head when I went out to spend the gift cards.

Still not sure what more I can add from my original movie review from when I saw this in theatres over the summer.  The film itself tends to be an origin story for the A-Team, showing how they came together, the crime they didn't commit, and their very first mission after they became wanted fugitives...the mission to clear their names. 

There are a few tweaks they made to the characters from their TV counterparts.  Hannibal's catchphrase "I love it when a plan comes together" moves from being a simple catchphrase to an almost religious mantra...a philosophy and belief in a higher power with a higher plan.  BA is given a neat character arc.  While spending time in prison for that crime they didn't commit, BA actually finds religion and takes a vow of non-violence.

But as I said in my original review, it's incredibly ridiculous, very over-the-top, and has some great funny moments...all in all, very much in keeping with the original TV series.

Yeah, this is a short one, but I don't have much to say on it.  It is what it is.

No comments: