Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, March 26, 2005

"Hate" is a very strong word. It describes a strong emotion. It is a word I do not use lightly. There are things I don't like. I'm indifferent towards many things. And, there are lots of things I find unpleasant. But hate? There are very few things I truly hate.

I hate Extra Foods in Drayton Valley.

I'm home for the Easter weekend. My mother needed to go to Drayton Valley to pick up a few things, and I went along. We wound up at Extra Foods. As soon as I walked in the door, I became physically uncomfortable. I wanted to turn, run, do anything to get out of that store. But I tolerated it. At the checkout line, my old boss even came over and said hi. Now, my boss at Extra Foods was actually pretty nice. It was the Store Manager and the manager of the Photo Lab that I always butted heads with. But still, I just couldn't stand talking to my old boss. I kept my answers short, curt, and polite. I'm certian she'll tell everyone that I've become rather rude. But I just wanted to leave that place. Quickly.

Afterwards, I got the tour around Drayton Valley. Saw the new Wal-Mart. It opened in January. Then I saw all the places that are closing because of Wal-Mart. It's interesting. My mother told me the story of many locals who have grown indifferent towards Wal-Mart. Before, when Wal-Mart went driving an hour into Spruce Grove, Wal-Mart was an event! It meant a day in the city away from the rigors of every day life. Then, when it was announced that a Wal-Mart was coming to town, the people were overjoyed. Oh my God! Wal-Mart! Here! We can have our big event EVERY DAY!! But now, that it's been in town for a while, Wal-Mart is no longer an event. It's just...there.

And I had to browse through Wal-Mart. Darn near wet my pants when I saw that they accidentally had the Episode III action figures on sale just a little early. Didn't pick up one, though. All they had left was R2-D2, Mace Windu, Chewbacca, and a Super Battle Droid. None of those characters really grabbed my interest. Looking at the back of the package, I think I'll hold out for the "on the verge of the Dark Side" Anakin Skywalker, or the lightsaber-weilding Emperor Palpatine.

However, I did pick up a Queen Amidala, wearing her outfit from the final scene in Episode I. That outfit is my definition of elegant.

Besides, I made my foolish action figure purchase yesterday. I was browsing through the Spruce Grove Superstore, checking out the Marvel Legends figures, and what did I spy but the super ultra rare Dark Phoenix figure. ToyFare says it's already going for $60. And I bought it for $10.

No comments: