Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Aquaman

Here we go again on Fishing in the Discount Bin.  You know how this works, I watch a movie and blog about it.  Easy as pie.  Today, we're checking out Aquaman.  This is in my notes at April 14, 2019.

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Bumblebee

And here we are again on Fishing in the Discount Bin.  You know how this works, I watch a movie and blog about it.  This time out, we got Bumblebee.  This is in my notes at April 7, 2019.

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Here we go again on Fishing in the Discount Bin.  You know how it works, I watch a movie and blog about it.  Don't get much more complicated than that.  This time out, I giving Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse a spin.  This is originally in my notes at March 23, 2019.

Thursday, June 06, 2019

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Amazing Screw-On Head

Here we go again on Fishing in the Discount Bin.  You know the routine, I watch a movie and blog about it.  This time out, we watch the forgotten animated pilot Amazing Screw-On Head.  This was originally in my notes at March 16, 2019.

Monday, June 03, 2019

Welcome Distractions

The Amber Alert woke me up at 5AM.  I don't wanna be one of those "How dare it wake me up!" jerks, but the truth is, I'm hard-wired to be up early for the job.  So if anything wakes me up after 4AM, there's a 99% chance I'm not getting back to sleep.  So after lying awake in bed for about half-an-hour, today was not going to be the 1%, so I got up. 

As I joked before, I wouldn't mind being up so early on Saturdays if Saturday morning cartoons were still a thing, so I went to the streaming services for something good to watch.  I recently learned the 1980s classic Fraggle Rock is now on Amazon Prime, so I've been revisiting some episodes from my youth. 

I was listening to a podcast not too long ago, where they talked to Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady.  One of Prady's first jobs many, many years ago was with the Jim Henson Company, and he worked on Fraggle Rock.  He told the story, on how to help break stories on Fraggle Rock, Jim Henson had left these four questions hanging on the writers' room wall:

1)  Who's the hero?
2)  What do they want?
3)  What's in their way?
4)  What do they learn? 

It's fascinating watching episodes of Fraggle Rock now and breaking down episodes like that.  The first one I watched on Saturday morning went like this:

1)  Who's the hero?  Red.
2)  What does she want?  To put on a swimming show.
3)  What's in her way?  The swimming hole has dried up.
4)  What does she learn?  To ask for help. 

I skipped ahead to the final episode, because it was one of those episodes that haunted me when I was a kid.  Doc, the kindly old inventor whose workshop bordered on the Fraggle world, finally learns of the existence of Fraggles, and becomes fast friends with Gobo, our lead Fraggle.  But, Doc has to move away, just as he's getting to know his new friend.  Broken hearts all around. 

1)  Who's the hero?  Gobo.
2)  What does he want?  To be friends with Doc.
3)  What's in his way?  Doc is moving away.
4)  What does he learn?  Friends will find a way. 

I'm going to have fun re-visiting this show, now that summer rerun season is here and my binging will be increasing. 

But after a leisurely morning catching up with the Fraggles, I got my car and went into the city.  I had my tickets to go see Godzilla: King of the Monsters.  This was interesting.  This wasn't in the big fancy, UltraAVX theatres with assigned seating and all that.  This was more old-school, just show up early and claim a seat.  Why?  Well, I had enough scene points to get my ticket for free this way, that's why. 

I arrived at the city and wandered through the stores with a certain sense of emptiness.  There's really nothing in my life I want or need right now, so I just kind of browsed around.  Plus, money's been pretty tight lately, so I'm trying to firm up that line between "want" and "need" a little more. 

And there's a few things I wanted, sure.  In the Star Wars action figure department, a lot of the Solo merchandise has found its way to discount bins.  But I already have everything I wanted.  Sure, the exclusive four pack is now down to $20 (regular price $40), but do I really need it?  Not even sure I want it for my collection.  And then I decided to pop in at Toys R Us to see the exclusive Last Jedi four pack is also down to $20.  Again, do I need it?  Not even sure I want it.

From there, just some aimless wandering around West Edmonton Mall.  Popped in at the Apple Store, and finally got the attention of a clerk to ask some questions about the latest Apple TV.  I currently have an Apple TV.  It's what I use for watching my Netflix and other streaming services, but I've been thinking about upgrading.  The previous model that I have...well, you're kind of stuck with the dozen or so apps that meet the design specs of the Apple TV.   But the newest generations have a full-blown app store, so if there's an app on your iPhone or iPad, there's a much greater chance it's got an Apple TV app, too.  But still, that $200 price tag does make it more of a "want." 

And then, a quick browse through Sunrise Records.  I was thinking about picking up a certain Blu-Ray.  With me going to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters, I thought it'd be kind of appropriate to pick up the 1998 American Godzilla on Blu-Ray.  Godzilla (1998) holds a special distinction in my movie library:  it's the last one I have yet to upgrade to DVD or Blu-Ray.  It's my last VHS tape.  But, lo and behold, Sunrise Records didn't have it.  I find, when it comes to movie selection, HMV still had Sunrise Records beat. 

But with time killed, it was now time to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters

It's been five years since Godzilla's first appearance.  There's a global debate going with how to deal with these giant monsters...now dubbed Titans.  Monarch -- the shadowy organization that monitors them and is not so shadowy anymore -- wants them to be studied, to see if there's a way to co-exist with them.  The military wants to wipe them out.  Caught in the middle is the Russel family, who lost their son during Godzilla's first appearance.  The parents were both Monarch scientists.  The father, Mark, walked away, going back to nature and studying wolves.  The mother, Emma, doubled-down, and has invented a device called the Orca that would allow communication with, and maybe even control over, the Titans.  But, Mark is called back into service when Emma is kidnapped by eco-terrorists who want to use the Orca to unleash all the monsters.  First one they release:  Ghidora, who was Godzilla's only challenger to be the top of the food chain back in the day.  Now, with the other revived titans falling under Ghidora's sway, the humans realize the only way to survive might be to help Godzilla.  In the battle between Godzilla and Ghidora, who will be crowned king of the monsters? 

This movie is just fun.  For those who complained that the last Godzilla film didn't have enough monster battles, well, this one will give you your fill.  Not only is Ghidora here, but Mothra and Rodan.  There's enough callbacks and Easter eggs to the original Japanese franchise to make you smile.  Even in the music, in which each giant monster's theme is lovingly brought back. 

A few quibbles though.  I mean, I know it's because it makes the computer animation cheaper and easier, but why do all these monster battles have to take place at night, in the rain?  And yeah, as with most giant monster films, the human story does drag a bit. 

But I still had a really good time.  Three out of four nibs, full review at the website

And then, I was heading home, but first, I thought I'd stop for supper.  I decided to hit up Popeyes Chicken again.  Now that there is one on the north side that I drive by a lot of the time and is easier to get to.  As I've blogged before, they do two different kinds of combos:  there's the combo, which gets you one side dish and a medium drink, and the platter, which gets you two side dishes and a large drink.  I've been hitting the platters on every visit, the logic being, "I don't know when I'll be back, so I'd better sample everything!"  But I've been by enough times now I think I can start going with combos.  Went with the spicy chicken tenders, and for sides, the onion rings and coleslaw.  I think this was my first time trying the spicy chicken.  Didn't really notice it, or else the ranch dipping sauce I went with was good enough at cancelling it out. 

So, yeah.  As cool as Popeyes Chicken is, I think it's time to find a new fast food obsession in Edmonton.  I've only ever had Five Guys once, and I was in a bad mood when I did that, so I never really fully appreciated it.  (It was the day of the escape room debacle...don't ask.)  So maybe Five Guys needs to be the new one I need to quest to.  Failing that, I hear Jollibee is coming to Edmonton this fall.