Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, May 03, 2003

"Hello. I think it's fair to warn you that I really have no idea what I'm doing here. All I have is this vague idea that I want to do a show. Things are going to be rough as I figure out how to do this, so all I ask is that you be tolerant. As for who I am, you can address me as Scarecrow." - These are the first words I ever spoke on the first edition of my radio show. Seems appropirate to inaugurate this.

So, welcome to the Chaos In A Box blog. This thing won't be here very long, probably just for two months or so. This is just because my computer is fried and I need some form of creative release until it's fixed and I can pour my heart and soul back into my official website, Chaos In A Box. So, until that day arrives, meesa here.

What words of wisdom can I impart on you in this, my first blog? How about a good ol' movie review?

X2: X-Men United

Directed by Bryan Singer

Starring Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, James Marsden, Famke Jannsen, Alan Cumming, Ian McKellin, Bryan Cox, and a cast of thousands.

One year ago, I was sneaking a buddy of mine into Spider-Man. Just last night, I was standing in line in Japan to be the first to see X2. What a difference a year makes! Or three years. Way back when X-Men first came out, I was told by a friend of mine (The same friend I snuck into Spider-Man) of a midnight screening of X-Men and I hurridly called all my friends and saw it with a huge crowd of my friends and admirers. I saw X2 alone. What a difference three years makes!

The film opens with one mutant named Kurt Wagner launching an asasination attempt on the President of the United States. But, something about this just doesn't seem right, so Professor Charles Xavier sends out Jean Grey and Storm to find Wagner before the authorities do. The good Professor and Cyclops are off to visit Magneto in prison for the evening, so who's going to stay at the School for the Gifted and watch the children? Why, Wolverine of course, who's just returned from searching for his past, finding nothing but bombed-out military instillations. Meanwhile, back in Washington, General Stryker uses the attack on the President to launch an assault on a training ground for mutant terrorists - Charles Xavier's School for the Gifted. Before long, all hell breaks loose, and the few remaining X-Men have to team up with Magneto to save Professor Xavier - before Stryker manipulates him into killing every mutant on the face of the Earth. Will Magneto return to the side of good? Will Wolverine discover his past? Will Pyro get tempted by evil? Will Rouge and Iceman ever find a way to get it on? And, more importantly, what's will all these visions of phoenix-like flames that Jean Grey is having whenever she uses her powers?

Ladies and gentlemen, add this to the short of list of sequels that are better than the first films. This movie just begins and doesn't let up. It does help if you've seen the first film, though, as it really doesn't slow down for exposition. It's just lots of explosions and story and...wow. Jackman once again kicks ass as Wolverine, and McKellin is wonderfully sinister as Magneto. And Cumming as Nightcrawler is just wonderful! This film really does take things to the next level. And, unlike that other Patrick Stewart film I've recently seen (Star Trek Nemesis), you really feel something when one of the main characters dies at the end. This movie almost surpases Spider-Man as the best Marvel movie to date.

4 Nibs

No comments: