Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, March 19, 2012

Can't Think of a Good Title

Made a quick trip into Edmonton yesterday.  I really wanted to see John Carter, and at the rate it's tanking, I figured the clock was ticking if I wanted to see it on the big screen. 

Sadly, I didn't want to see it because I was familiar with the source material.  I wanted to see it because it was directed by Andrew Stanton, the Pixar soopah-genius who directed A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E.  Being a Pixar geek, I wanted to see his first big screen offering.



Long story short:  I liked it.  You can tell they really wanted it to start a franchise, though.  There's lots of vague motivations and mysterious Martian technology, and you just know that the answer given on the set that day was, "We'll answer in the sequel!"

Anyway, the complete review is over on the main site.  Click on over!

From there, I went on over to HMV.  The sad thing is, I can't go into HMV anymore without exploding into a terrible inner monologue.  I love my DVDs and Blu-Rays...but then I remember my current financial situation and guilt myself into not buying anything.  And then, on top of that, I guilt myself for guilting myself into not buying anything and denying myself happiness.  As you can see, I wind up sprinting out of the store in tears because of all the guilt.

But there's so much I want!  That nice new Blu-Ray of the original King Kong was there, and I've been denying myself that for a year.  There's the new Blu-Ray of American Graffiti and they finally had the original MASH in stock...always thought those two would make a nice double feature because they're my Dad's favourite movies.

But eventually I cheaped out.  One thing I do infrequently is surf the discount bins for movies I like, and they're so darn cheap, that I just can't say no.  So for $10, I got the original Police Academy and Adventures in Babysitting...two beloved comedies from my youth.

And, the hot hipster clerk finally talked me into signing up for HMV's rewards program.  Let that be a lesson to you, kiddos.  If you ask me for over a year, I'll eventually break down and say yes.  But the process will be sped up if you're wearing hot pink Baroness glasses.

Then I did a quick breeze through Chapters.  I saw The Last Unicorn was on special  I've loved the movie version of that since I was a kid, and always thought about reading the book.  So I picked that up.  Leafing through it, it seems to be an easy read.  I just have to sit down and start reading the damn thing...something that's gotten so darn hard in my nearing-old-age.

Don't know how to end this, so like they taught me in school, when you don't know what to say, just play the next song.



No comments: