Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, July 28, 2005

I've got to get out of here.

Reason number 19832094 why I hate living in a small town: the postmistress has begun worrying about my mental health.

See, it's like this. About once every two days, I go skipping down to the post office with an armful of resumes and demos which I send to every corner of the country. Apparently, I haven't been skipping as much lately, so the postmistress told my mother that she's worried I'm becoming depressed.

Just between you and me, here's why I wasn't skipping last time I went down to the post office.

It was Tuesday. I spent the day catching up on my correspondence. Essentially, if I have your address, you'll be getting a letter from me very soon. So, I got to the post office, mailed my letters, and got home. As soon as I kicked my shoes off, poured myself a big glass of milk, and settled into my chair. And then the phone rang. My Mom came running into the room. "That was the postmistress," she said. "Apparently, she didn't notice one of your letters was going to Japan and she undercharged you. You have to go back and buy more stamps for it."

So, I hauled myself out of my big comfy chair, put the milk back in the fridge, and once again had to walk all the way downtown just to guy fifty cents worth of stamps.

So, I may have been a little grouchy that second time.

And, you also have to remember that my sister is home. And she's getting on my nerves. Especially right now.

See, my sister is one of these people who always needs a project. Be it dating a mullet-wearing cokehead because "she can change him," or sewing a potholder, she's got to be working on something.

And now that she's living at home, she's made "cleaning the house" her project. This evening she's been going through the basement, throwing out anything that looks older than three months. As I write this, all my Star Trek books are gone and all my favourite board games. And I see she's getting closer and closer to my Japan souviners.

She's just slashing and burning without consulting anyone. All she knows is her project is "clean the basement."

She hasn't lived here in 5 years.

She doesn't have the right.

No comments: