Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Coming of the Alpocalypse!

This is it!  The big day is here!  "Weird Al" Yankovic's new album, Alpocalypse, comes out today!  Stupid Canada Post strike...I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon.ca a month ago!  Who knows when the hell it's going to arrive now?

Oh, well.  At least Weird Al has me covered.  He released the video for his lead single, Perform This Way, yesterday!  As you may recall, 'tis a parody of Lady Gaga's Born This Way.









My thoughts...meh.  As I kinda blogged when he first leaked Perform This Way to the Internet, there's a whole feeling of, "I'm parodying this because I have to," to this, and as such, it just feels like it's lacking...something.  Maybe it's because Lady Gaga is too easy a target, making the jokes seem too easy.  I don't know.  It's good, but I don't think it's one of Weird Al's best.

I've watched this a few times, now, and I'm starting to wonder if Weird Al had his head digitally superimposed on a woman's body.  There's just some scenes in there where his bangs float over his forehead in a weird way, and the head just doesn't seem proportioned to the body.  

Oh, well.  I can still pass the time waiting for this Canada Post strike to end.  As previously announced, all of the songs on Weird Al's digital EP Internet Leaks were all the original songs on this new album.  Since I bought Internet Leaks when it first came out in 2009, I at least already own half of the album.  

Here's my favourite from the Internet Leaks  collection, and thus one of my favourites from Alpocalypse, and that's this little ditty called Skipper Dan:





Pathos from a Weird Al song. Whoda thunkit?

And lastly, it's just not a Weird Al album without a polka medley.  The new album has actually been streaming since last week, so the fan-made music videos are starting to pop up online.  Ladies and gents, here's Polka Face:





Now let's get this damn postal strike settled so my CD will arrive in the mail!

No comments: