Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Trailer

When Sherlock Holmes first came out in 2009, I was somewhat surprised to learn that a lot of my friends were Holmes geeks.  I started feeling out of the loop as I could get involved with the debates as to whether it was faithful to the source material or not.  For all practical purposes, it was my first exposure to the Holmes universe, and I liked what I saw.  I felt the movie to be good, but not great.  The one thing that really blew me away about the film was Hans Zimer's Oscar-nominated score.






I walked into the theatre respecting the film's pedigree.  I mean, Guy Ritchie, director of Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was directing, and I liked those films.  Robert Downey Jr is riding new waves of awesome, and Jude Law was pretty good, too.  But still, the film as a whole just never really knocked my socks off.

But still, it made a whole bunch of money, so that means the filmmakers get to try to blow me away again with a sequel, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, hitting theatres this December.

Guy Ritchie is back as director, as are Downey and Law as Holmes and Watson.  Rachael McAdams is also back as Irene Adler, although McAdams has said that her role is very small this time out.


Joining them in this sequel are Noomi Rapace, star of the original Swedish The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, as Sim, a gypsy fortune teller who gets caught up in the evil plot.  Legendary British comedian and actor Stephen Fry is also on board as Sherlock's smarter brother Mycroft.  And rounding out the cast is Jared Harris, one of the stars of Mad Men, as Holmes's arch-enemy, Professor Moriarty. 

The plot has Holmes enlisted to solve the murder of the Crown Prince of Austria, and this turns out to be nothing but a small part in the latest evil plot devised by Moriarty.  Holmes and Watson are soon having all kinds of adventures across Europe as they seek out to apprehend Moriarty. 

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows hits theatres on December 16.  



No comments: