Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Suicide Squad

Here we go again on Fishing in the Discount Bin, as I ramble about one of the movies I own.  Today, we get to one of the biggest shrugs of 2016, Suicide Squad.  This is in my notes at January 6, 2017.





As much as I love the fact that we live in a world with a Suicide Squad movie, everything about Suicide Squad struck me as reactionary to Marvel.  "If you liked Guardians of the Galaxy, you'll LOVE DC's band of misfit anti-heroes...Suicide Squad!"  "If you liked Deadpool, you'll LOVE DC's wacky, irreverent heroes...Suicide Squad!

Even after word of its troubled shoot and even the unprecedented step of getting the marketing company that made the trailer to do an edit of the movie, what struck me about Suicide Squad was how overwhelmingly...average it was for a superhero movie.  Swirling portal of death...faceless army of stormtroopers...it was just so painfully average.

Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff in it.  Margot Robbie steals the show as Harley Quinn.  She freakin' nails the character.  Will Smith, as always, delivers the goods as Deadshot.  but...they are the only characters of note. 

So much fuss was made about Jared Leto's Joker, but he's barely in it.  That being said, Batman is barely in it, but he's used to just the right amount.  This is not a Batman movie after all. 

Wish I had more to say, but yeah.  Much like the movie itself, this rambling is just going through the motions. 

No comments: