Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

June 22, 2004.

Wow. I've now officially been home from Japan for a year. I can still remember everything I did on that final day right down to the exact minute. It's strange. In my long term goals for Japan, I always pictured that I'd be coming home, well, now, or maybe three months ago. But to have already been home for a year....

Sometimes, I wonder what I did wrong over there. Especially when Mr. Anderson was there for darn near two years and made getting a contract renewal seem like the easiest thing in the world. I still wonder if I should sue someone, seeing as to how at my follow-up training the head of the Omiya Seminar house looked me square in the eye and said, "They will ask you to renew."

How did it all go so wrong? I showed up early, worked through my breaks, left late, and the students loved me. The only advice I was ever given when expressed doubts about my teaching was, "Low levels love you. Just be yourself." And I made sure all my I's were dotted and T's were crossed.

That's was probably the problem. Katakana doesn't have I's and T's. The most successful English Teachers are those who set out to become as Japanese as they possibly can. But, because I wasn't spending my off-hours studying Japanese and learing the intricacies of the prayer rituals at shrines, this misconception arose that I was violently opposed to all things Japanese. I spent my spare time as I always do - watching movies. I guess that didn't fit the company's mentality of a good teacher.

I should get off this. I've spent the past year picking this apart in my mind and it's gotten me nowhere. Nope, I should focus on the future! I should resume picking apart my choice to go into broadcasting and waiting for the day when it all falls apart before my eyes. I figure it'll start to fall apart around November, when no radio station will take me on for my practicum.

Next Issue...Harsh Reality

No comments: