Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Today, I received what I'm sure is the greatest piece of toy-related comic book art EVER.

So, I'm reading the latest issue of ToyFare, #85. In it, they're doing a huge report on girls toys of the 1980s, mainly because there's been a huge demand for it. Yeah, they've done just about every story on He-Man, G.I. Joe, and Transformers, but people are starting to ask about Jem, She-Ra, and Strawberry Shortcake. Anyway, I'm leafing through it, and what image do they have kicking off this report?

We've got She-Ra, Rainbow Bright, and Strawberry Shortcake. All grown up, around mid-20s or so, built like brickhouses, and doing a Coyote Ugly-style dance on a bar top. The caption reads, "She-Ra, Rainbow Bright, and Strawberry Shortcake growed up right."

How can I describe my reaction to this image? Remember that episode of Futurama where Fry checks up on his old bank account? Remember when he was told that, thanks to 1000 years of interest, his 93-cent balance had grown into $4.7 billion? Remember how he started foaming at the mouth and doing ecstatic convulsions on the floor?

Well, that was me doing that on the floor of Chapters when I first saw that image. Dude, it's like my earliest sexual fantasy come to 4-colour life. I've got to e-mail ToyFare a very complimentary note about it. I wonder if they're going to release it as a poster. I'd even settle for one of those really tiny posters they always slipped in their early issues. I'm sure I'm not the only child of the 1980s who thought that image was the most brilliant piece of artwork ever.

My God. They're so HOT! "Growed up right," indeed.

Yeah, that was one of the highlights of my day in the city. I finally got around to seeing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'll write up a full review for the website tomorrow. The cool thing was I saw it at the South Edmonton Common movie theatre. I'd never been there before.

The South Edmonton Common movie theatre made headlines when it first opened in Edmonton, what, in 1998 or so. It was the first movie theatre of its kind in Edmonton. 16 screens, stadium seating (that's where the seats are arranged like the seats in a stadium), curved screens, all that good stuff. There's still very little that's been bulit around it. It's like this massive cathedral of film rising out of the prarie. I stepped inside and was in awe of the place. Ever since about high school or so, I've been sketching on the back of napkins what my "ultimate movie theatre" would look like. South Edmonton Common is the one that's come closest. Only thing is my ultimate theatre, rather than haivng 15+ screens, will have only 2 screens; two FRIGGIN' HUGE screens.

And the seats recline. Needless to say, I was impressed.

And I finally bought the score for The Matrix, mainly because I can use it this fall in the studio. It's actually pretty good; filled with lots of prophetic trumpets and fanfares. I'll be listening to it quite a bit tomorrow as I write my review and latest column and send out the latest News from Markworld and all that good stuff.

Oh, and I have to mention the weird dream I had last night. Remember that episode of The Simpsons where Homer dreamt of the most brilliant invention ever but he woke up before he could see what it was? It was kind of like that. Only I was reading the most brilliant novel ever written. I was nearing the end of the book. And darn it, I can't remember what it was about. Only that it ended in a tragic suicide. And Christina Ricci was one the cover. Strange.

Oh, well. I finally broke down and bought the 2-disc special edition of The Lion King today. Let's see if I can watch it.

Next Issue...Too Much Stuff

No comments: