Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, April 29, 2005

Well, I completed one of those geek rites of passage today.

I bought myself a long box used for storing comic books.

As we all know, I'm going to be unemployed for a LONG time, so I'm hoping to use some of that time to seriously clean out my room. And a major part of that is gathering up all my old comic books and back issues of ToyFare and properly boxing them up and
storing them. My current system of little piles all over the house is no longer working - and it gets on the parents nerves.

So yeah. As grand as I make it sound, I really don't have all that many comics & ToyFares. I'm hoping one box will be enough


Well, here's some movie news I've been waiting for for a long time. I've been reading bits and pieces about it for a while now, but the official announcement was made today.

we're getting a CGI movie all about bees! Because, you know, it's been a while since we had a CGI movie about bugs. It's called...Bee Movie. (Oh, how clever.)

Here's the story. It follows the adventures of Barry B. Benson. He's fresh out of college, and kind of upset, because there's only one profession for a bee to go into: honey. Not wanting this life, he heads out into the world to learn more about it, and he befreinds a florist named Vanessa. Through his friendship with Vanessa, he learns more about the human world and how a big part of our society honey is. Barry comes to a revelation. Humans are stealing honey from bees! Barry realizes his true profession: law. He then sues humans for all the back money owed to bees.

Now, there's one thing that makes this notable for me. The film's been written by and is being produced by...Jerry Seinfeld. He's also doing the voice of Barry. Vanessa will be voiced by Renee Zellwiger. Also doing voices are Alan Arkin, Kathy Bates, Robert Duvall, Eric Idle, Larry King, William H. Macy, Tim Blake Nelson, Uma Thurman, Patrick Warburton and Oprah Winfrey.

It's being made by DreamWorks Animation, the same folks responsible for Antz, Shark Tale and the Shrek franchise. It's scheduled to come out in the fall of 2007. DreamWorks' other animated film that year will be Shrek 3.


Now, I just want to take a moment to continue my rant about commemerative coins. The
only thing that really annoys me is that a lot of these commemerative coins really
aren't commemerating anything. For example, did we really need 24 different quarters
when the calendar flipped over from 1999 to 2000? No. Did we need a loonie adorned
with the Olympic rings just because it was an Olympic year? No.

All I'm saying is make the commemerations meaningful, before it becomes meaningless.

Ehh, the truth is I'm just bitter that I haven't gotten a poppy quarter or a Terry Fox loonie yet.

Anyway, with this going on, I had to dig out the special jar I have in the bottom of my desk. It's the jar that I keep commerative coins in when I feel like keeping them.

Here's what's all in the jar:

- 4 mountie quarters (to commemerate the 100th anniversary of the RCMP in 1973, a special quarter, replacing the caribou with a mountie on horseback.).
- a few assorted provincial quarters from the 1992 125th anniversary celebrations
- an Australian 50¢ coin and an Australian $2 coin. I have no idea how I picked these up.
- a Japanese World Cup of Soccer commerative ¥500 coin. Minted in 2002 to celebrate Japan's hosting of the World Cup of Soccer that year. I got it in my pocket change as I began my final 2-week tour through Japan.

And, the pride of my collection,

- 6 Canadian 50¢ coins. And yes, I fished them all out of my pocket change.

No comments: