Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

80's Nostalgia Draws Nigh

80's nostalgia began about 10 years ago, when me and my best friend would hang out in the offices of the Dag (Augustana University's student paper) and compare notes on GI Joe and Transformers. Little did we know that people of the same generation were having similar conversations all across the continent.

It wasn't long before marketing folks realized there was a market to be tapped. New merchandise started arriving on store shelves. People like my best friend and me soon became storytellers, and wanted to explore the characters they grew up with. We started getting new cartoons, new comic books, and even new movies.

But now, 80's nostalgia is starting to wane. People like my best friend and me are nearing 30, and with more and more grown-up responsibilities, we just don't have the disposable income to spend on a mint Snake Eyes we stumbled across on eBay.

Several market analysts once said that 80's nostalgia would end with a return of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as that was the last big thing to come out of the 80's.

That's why I'm just not getting that jazzed about 300. It's the new, computer animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film coming out at the end of the month that's making me geek out. I swear, watching the trailers, I just can't help but think that computer animation was always the best medium to tell the tales of the Turtles.

The very first teaser had my totally psyched. The second trailer made me go, "Oh." Early reviews have started popping up online, saying that while it's good, it's not great.

But then, seeing this Internet only trailer that clocks in at 3:45 has me all psyched again.

At the very least, watch the first 30 seconds to hear Morpheus recount the origin of the Turtles in just a few, awe-inspiring sentences.







March 23, baby.

No comments: