Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dark Knight Bits

I spent my afternoon watching A League of Their Own. It was my sister's favourite movie when I was a kid, and she made the family watch it ad nauseam. So, when I was picking up some groceries the other day, and I saw the rare, out-of-print 2-disc special edition in the impulse buy section near the cashiers for just $10, I thought to myself, "What the hey?" It's still a great movie. I remember when it first came out, one critic described it as "the world's first chick flick/sports movie." I don't know about you, but I think the world needs more chick flick/sports movies. C'mon, CBC! Where's our Hayley Wickenheiser biopic?

It's funny. I'm the big movie guy in my family, but when I was a kid, I didn't have that one movie that I watched over and over and over until I had every line of dialogue memorized. For my sister, it was A League of Their Own. For my brother, well, he fell into all the Batman hype in the summer of 1989, so for him, it was Batman. But me, nothing. I'm sure you'd expect a Star Trek movie or a Star Wars film, but nope.

Speaking of Batman, we've got less than a month until The Dark Knight hits theatres, so the publicity is starting to go into overdrive.

In what I'm sure is no surprise, it was announced today that The Dark Knight will be officially dedicated to Heath Ledger.

Also, in front of The Dark Knight, we'll be getting the first trailer for one of the most anticipated comic book adaptations: Watchmen. I really should read that before the movie comes out.

Oh, and one last thing I want to mention. If there's one thing I hate these days, it's the "animated film as a franchise." My argument is still the Shrek films. The first one is fantastic, the second one is gawd-awful, and the third one was merely OK. So, it saddens me to report that Dreamworks has just given the greenlight to....

Kung Fu Panda 2

No comments: