Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Nominations

Yay! Oscar nominations were announced today. As has become an annual tradition of mine, let's take a quick look at the nominations in MY favourite categories, because everyone's going to be all obsessed with the big categories.

First up, perhaps the biggest of my favourite categories, Best Animated Film. The nominees are:

WALL-E
Kung Fu Panda
Bolt

My Prediction: No doubt, WALL-E. I think it still stands as one of the best reviewed films of the year, plus Pixar is becoming an Oscar favourite.

On the radio today, I said that I've been able to successfully predict this category ever since its inception. He wants to do some kind of wager on the air now. I'm game, seeing as to how WALL-E will win hands down.

Next up, we have Best Visual Effects. I've always had a pretty successful run of predictions in this category as well. The nominees are:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Iron Man
The Dark Knight

This is a tough one for me. I've heard good things about the effects work in Benjamin Button. Apparently, turning Brad Pitt into a computer animated, 90-year-old lookin' baby is quite the FX work. So, I'm going to go with Benjamin Button.

Finally, we've got Best Original Song. This is a holdover from the old days. In the 1990s, you could always successfully predict this one with the rule, "It'll be the one from the Disney animated film." But Disney hasn't done a lot of animated musicals lately. So, let's see what we've got....

"Down to Earth" from WALL-E
"Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire
"O Saya," also from Slumdog Millionaire.

Hmmm...what to predict? Oh, er, um, uh...it'll be the one from the Disney/Pixar animated film! "Down to Earth" it is!

The big show is on February 21. The host is Wolverine himself, Hugh Jackman.

Here's the complete list of nominees.

No comments: