Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, July 09, 2007

My Coolest Birthday Present

First and foremost, I've got my official reviews of Transformers and Ratatouille up over at my official site, so go read them when you've got a chance.

And now, I want to tell you about the coolest birthday present I got. It was given to me by my sister. Back when she was still learning to be a teacher, she had to make it as a project, and she started tailoring it with an eye towards giving it to me. The project was to choose a number, and then find as many facts as you can about that number.

So, what it is, is this poster, and in the centre is a caricature of me, drawn by a friend of mine. And, all around it, it lists the significance of the number 7 in various cultures, religions, mythologies, and pop culture.

Yeah, it had a lot to do with the fact that my birthday was on 07/07/07 this year, but that's just the half of it. See, the whole story is, I was born on 07/07/77 at 7:07 PM and I weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. Ever since that weird coincidence, the number 7 occasionally pops up at weird times in my life.

Western superstition tells us that 7 is a lucky number. Numerologists will tell you that there's nothing special about 7. But this what my sister dug up.

The Caricature my sister used

7 is...

- the fourth prime number
- the smallest happy number
- the atomic number of nitrogen
- the number of heavens in Islam
- the number of stars in Ursa Major
- the number of islands that made up Atlantis
- the number of days in the week
- the number of notes on the music scale
- the number of colours in the rainbow
- the number of points on a sheriff's star

And let's not forget...

- a series of 7 is called a heptad
- 7 Deadly Sins
- 7 Virtues of Man
- 007
- Seven Dwarfs
- Seven of Nine

And, once you factor in all the revisions to the calendar, 7 BC is the most likely birth year of you-know-who.

I still need to find a good place to hang that poster....

Second-coolest gift I got had to be from my friend Jo. She's currently globetrotting, and with me loving the Olympics, I have a standing request for any kind of Olympic kitsch from any former host city she might wander through. She's in Australia right now, and she got me a special Australian $5 coin that was minted to commemorate Sydney 2000. (I also have a standing request for a hot Aussie surfer girl, but apparently, those are too hard to get through customs.)

Also worth noting is that it was heavily hinted that I'd be getting a digital camera. But, because I know so much about technology, I tend to be quite...selective when it comes to such things. So, I was given a $150 gift card for Best Buy and instructions to buy myself one.

And, since it's not a trip to the city unless I get a boatload of DVDs, I also got a boatload of DVDs. I'll tell you about those tomorrow.

No comments: