Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Episode 65: The Royal Tyrrell Museum

A dinosaur outside the front entrance of the Royal Tyrrell Museum, greeting you!


I don't go on vacation as much as I should.  It's because of a number of factors, ranging from can't really afford to go anywhere to can't think of any place I'd like to go.

About 5 years ago, I did have place in mind that I wanted to go to:  The Royal Tyrrell Museum down in Drumheller.  I remember when the museum opened back in 1985...it was a huge deal in the province, and just about every one I knew was going on a trip down there to see the museum.  I got to go see it twice.  In 1986, the family went down there on a trip to check it out.  And once again a year later, on a class trip.

As the years went on, I always wanted to go back to it, now that I'm old enough to fully appreciate it, and because I still think dinosaurs are super-awesome.  So, after I'd worked in Athabasca for about a year, I figured, "Let's do it!  Let's head down to Drumheller for a vacation and see the Royal Tyrrell Museum!"  Alas, that "can't really afford to go anywhere" thing came back to haunt me, and after looking at motel rates in and around Drumheller, I was getting ready to scrap the whole thing.  But then, after doing some research with Google Maps, I discovered that Drumheller makes a pretty good day trip from Red Deer.  So the plan was revised to crash at my sister's place, visit the family in Red Deer, and then pop down to Drumheller for a day to see the museum.

A T-Rex skull, looking over the main display hall in the Royal Tyrrell Museum


The plan was in place, and I thought that, while at the museum, I'd do something a little extra to remember it.  I had just bought myself a digital voice recorder, with the idea of being able to record my podcast live on location.  So I thought it would be neat to bring it along and record a podcast live from the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

I narrated what I saw.  I captured audio from the multimedia displays.  And the clerk at the help desk was kind enough to give me an interview.

When I got home, it took me day to pour through all the audio I'd recorded and come up with Episode 65: The Royal Tyrrell Museum.  With all that work, I was rather pleased with how it turned out.  And now that I'm on SoundCloud and everything, I thought I'd upload it for the world to hear.

The outside of the Royal Tyrrell Museum, seen from a viewpoint on the museum grounds.  You can see the long line of people stretching out from the front door and into the parking lot.


In a way, this the precursor to my YouTube videos.  I had my shiny new digital camera at this point, but I didn't have my new computer with Windows MovieMaker.  Had I had all that back then, this probably would have wound up being a YouTube vid.

So please enjoy, Episode 65:  The Royal Tyrrell Museum.  


Episode 65: The Royal Tyrrell Museum by Mark Cappis


It's getting to be that time of year where I really should fire up the podcast and get it going again.  I always take the summer off because the day job gets so busy.  Hopefully, it'll be back up and running by the end of the month.

I learned a long time ago that every museum around the world has two things:  an overpriced gift shop and an overpriced cafe.  So I try to photograph them at every museum I go to!  Here's the gift shop.

No comments: