Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Fishing in the Discount Bin - Avengers: Age of Ultron

Here we go again, on Fishing in the Discount Bin, where I watch one of the too-many Blu-Rays I own.  Today, we get to one of last summer's biggest movies, Avengers: Age of Ultron.  This is in my notes at October 17, 2016.





Ah, Avengers: Age of Ultron.  I had such high hopes for you.  The hype that was building up for this film...the grand finale to Marvel's Phase II.  After the awesomeness that was Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, we were ready for more.  But while I expected "great," I got "pretty good."

It almost suffers from the same problem as The Amazing Spider-Man 2.  There's so much set-up for Marvel's Phase III that it starts to bog things down.  We're hit with a bunch of backstory for the Infinity Gems.  A bunch of new characters are thrown into the mix, resulting in new origin stories.  Unlike Amazing Spider-Man 2, though, they manage to remain focused on one villain and a main plot. 

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I still love it.  The Hulk vs. Hulkbuster battle is pretty darn good.  Quicksilver is fun, but not quite as fun as over in the X-Men universe.  And for those who thought Hawkeye got screwed over in the first movie where he was a mind-controlled henchman for most of it, well, Hawkeye definitely gets the most well-developed subplot, as the Avengers hide out on his farm and we meet his family. 

But just...there's so much.  I wish Ultron was fleshed out a little more as a villain.  I wish we got to know Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch a little better. 

But there's a lot more good than bad.  I mean, the dialogue is still very Joss Whedon-esque.  "Quippy" is the term I heard online.  And I do love Hawkeye's pep talk.




I dunno what to say.  I liked it.  But the novelty of seeing all your favourite heroes together on the big screen is starting to wear off.  Reduce the heroes.  Give us some better villains.  Make them great again.

No comments: