Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, October 10, 2005

When I saw Serenity last week, I saw it at Edmonton's North Edmonton Common theatre. I think I'll be going there more often...it's just like South Edmonton Common, only easier for me to get to. And cheaper than Silver City.

Now, the "Edmonton Commons" theaters are Cineplex Odeons, and I don't get to them much because Silver City is a Famous Players. And, as I was sitting in the theatre waiting for Serenity to start, I noticed something cool.

Cineplex Odeon has its own radio station.

They do! It's their own radio station to pipe into movie theatres before the movie starts. I was listening to this station and I started thinking, "That must be a pretty sweet gig!"

I started thinking of the logistics...odds are, Cineplex Odeon has subcontracted this to some production house in Vancouver. They probably don't have to do much work, because, let's face it, people are only listening to 20 minutes worth as they wait for the movie to start. It's probably only a 2 or 3 hour show, recorded in this Vancouver production house, then beamed via satallite to every Cineplex Odeon in Western Canada. Probably just record a new one every week, too.

Really sweet gig.

No comments: