Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Quickie Capsle Reviews

OK, I'm having perpetual Internet problems at home, so I have no idea when I'll be able to publish my full reviews of Star Trek and Wolverine on the official site. So, best to run on down to the office, borrow the computer at work, and write some quick, off-the-cuff reviews.

Going back in time 6 years, that's why I originally created this blog anyway. No Internet at home? Well, something that can be updated quickly and easily at Internet cafes and library and other forms of pulic Internet access.

Anyway, I played hookey from work yesterday so I could see Star Trek on opening day. Well, I guess it's not really playing hookey when you responsibly book the day off two days in advance. And while I was at it, I made it a double-feature day and saw Wolverine. Quick reviews:

Star Trek

What I Liked: This is the Star Trek movie I've wanted ever since the Star Wars prequels and Lord of the Rings came along...this is Star Trek writ large...a true Star Trek epic. Most of the characters are pretty much dead-on. It's full of in-jokes and references for fanboys like me, but not so much that it's distracting. And we finally learn the genesis of Dr. McCoy's nickname.

What I Didn't Like: Despite their efforts, it still falls prey to several Star Trek cliches, such as the rest of the crew falling into the background and settling the focus on Kirk and Spock. There's one central change to a certain character relationship that just kind of comes out of left field. And who the heck decided that Chekov should sound like Borat?

Final Assessment: As I said, this is Star Trek writ large, and I loved it for it.

3.5 Nibs

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

What I Liked: Wolverine proudly proclaiming he's Canadian. What little we see of Deadpool. What little we see of Gambit.

What I Didn't Like: Just the overwhelming sense of "It's all been done." It's been done bigger and better.

Final Assessment: Offers nothing new for the X-Men film franchise...vastly underwhelming.

2 Nibs

No comments: