Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, January 09, 2006

It's kind of hard to not be a disillusioned voter where I live.

Today, in their series of riding profiles, The Edmonton Journal got around to do my riding - Yellowhead. As the article points out, Yellowhead has been Conservative since 1958. Well, first it was PC, then Alliance/Reform...the point is this is a very safe riding for the right wing.

I like it when the Edmonton Journal does their riding profiles. Since Yellowhead is a geographically huge area, all the candidates forums tend to be a minimum of an hour-and-a-half's drive away. And none of the candidates come door-knocking in Entwistle. The Edmonton Journal's riding profile is almost my only chance to meet the candidates.

As such, the Conservative incumbent - a backbencher by the name of Rob Merrifield - just seems to be phoning it in. He's got no real vision for the riding of Yellowhead. His only goal is to combat voter apathy. You know...get more of his supporters to the polls.

And sadly, the Liberal candidate - Nancy Love - seems no better. She seems to have resigned herself to losing and is also just phoning it in. Now THAT'S the kind of dedicated representative I want in Ottawa.

On the other hand, all of the other candidates - Noel Lapierre of the NDP, Monika Schaeffer of the Greens and John Wierenga of the Christian Heritage Party - now they all seem somewhat passionate about their parties and their platforms.

Even though we already fairly certain that Merrifield is once again going to do a lackluster job of representing Entwistle, we know he's going to get in again. Almost makes one feel like not voting. But I'll vote anyway. I know...in Yellowhead, voting against the Conservatives is like banging your head against the wall. But, if you bang long enough, that wall will eventually crumble.

I'd link to the Yellowhead Riding profile, but the Edmonton Journal's website is one of those nasty newspaper websites that you have to pay to get into. They don't even offer a "24-hour free sample" that you could exploit. I get in because I get home delivery of the Journal, and subscribers get free access to the website. If you're curious to know more about Yellowhead, let me know and I'll e-mail you the article.


In more fun news, the first-ever Clerks 2 teaser is up!

I will give it this: it looks and feels like the first film. With sequels, that could be either a good thing or a bad thing. I'm siding with "good thing" for now.

Anyway, you can go see it for yourself at the official Clerks 2 website!

No comments: