Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oscar Nominations!

Hoo-rah! the Oscar nominees have just been announced! As you know, I always do a "Scarecrow's Oscar Pics" over at the main website, and I'll probably get around to doing that tonight. but, in the mean time, let me throw up a rough draft here at ye ole blog. As always, there are only three categories I tend to care about:

Best Visual Effects
the Chornicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
King Kong
War of the Worlds

Gee, I have to agree with some other websites...what's with Episode III getting snubbed? Anyway, hands-down, it's going King Kong. When you got the hat-trick scoring team that did The Lord of the Rings, there is no guessing.

Best Original Song
In the Deep from Crash
It's Hard Out There for a Pimp from Hustle and Flow
Travelin' Through from Transamerica

Let me say two things right off the bat. First, damn the rules of this category! Thanks to the rules, all of Danny Elfman's songs from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were completely ignored! (At least, I think it was because of the rules.) Second, darn the state of Disney animation! My whole strategy of "it's the song from Disney's latest animated film" has been somewhat failing in the past few years. My guess? It'll be the one from Crash, as that's a pure Oscar favourite.

And now, my new all-time favourtie category, the one category I've been able to successfully predict since the category started....

Best Animated Film. The nominess are:
Howl's Moving Castle
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

First, I just want to say HA HA!! For the first time ever, there are no computer animated films in the running. IN YOU FACE, EVERYONE WHO SAYS CGI HAS KILLED ALL OTHER FORMS OF ANIMATION!! Now that that's out of they way, I'd say that the safe bet is Wallace and Grommit. The Oscars just love Wallace and Grommit, as well as director Nick Park. Don't forget, 2 of the 3 Wallace and Grommit shorts and the classic Nick Park short "Creature Comforts" all took home a best animated short film Oscar. Plus, it's long been rumoured that the Best Animated Film category was created because Nick Park's last film, "Chicken Run," was inelligible for any nominations, but still greatly loved by the Academy. With all this behind it, I'm definitly putting my money on the Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The Oscars are on March 5.

No comments: