Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

So I got my free Alberta Centennial flag. And on Canada Day, I watched a great documentary about the Canadian flag on the CBC. So I'm sure that you can understand that my current obsession is flags. As part of this obsession, I found the official website for NAVA, the North American Vexillogical Association. They're an orginaziation of Vexilloligists. (Vexillology, as I'm sure you've figured out, is the study of flags.) Anyway, they produced a brochure called "Good Flag, Bad Flag." In it, they outline what they believe to be the 5 basic principles in designing a good flag. In case you're curious, these are those 5 principles. I quote these verbatim:

1) Keep it simple. A flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.

2) Use meaningful symbolism. The flag's images, colours, or patterns should relate to what it symoblizes.

3) Use 2 or 3 basic colours. Limit the number of colours on the flag to three, which contrast well and come from the standard colour set. They define the "standard colour set" as being red, blue, green, yellow, black and white.

4) No lettering or seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization's seal.

5) Be distinctive or be related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show a connection.

If I've piqued your curiosity, you can read the whole brochure right here.


Also, got a little DVD news. On October 4, Paramount will release the 2-disc special edition of Star Trek: Nemesis. Once that's out, all the Star Trek movies will be available in the 2-disc special edition treatment. Naturally, on that day, Paramount will also be releasing Star Trek: The Motion Pictures Collection. This is the big boxed set of the 2-disc special editions.

No comments: