Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, November 14, 2005

This is the time of day I hate.

I was out working in the oil fields all day with Dad, there's a couple of good looking jobs posted that I should get an application together for, but I just don't feel like it. Instead, I'm just surfing around.

Over at my friend's blog, she's doing this thing right now where she and a bunch of other bloggers living outside of Canada share their tales of culture shock. Today, the common topic is all about food. And, it reminded me of a story about Japan.

Now, I've never told this story to anyone before, so you're in for a treat.

So, there I was, with my American co-worker and a couple of our Japanese co-workers. We were in the mood for sushi, so we went to the best sushi place in Kumagaya. After my friend and I had our fill of what was rolling down the conveyer belt, we wanted something a little different. We went through the menu and ordered some deep fried/tempura looking thing.

We got it. We started eating it. We found it to be quite good. "I've finally got to find out what this is," said the Yankee, so he pulled his pocket-sized English/Japanese dictionary out of his bag.

"Oh my God."

"What?"

"You won't believe what we're eating."

"Let me guess. It's fish testicles!"

"Oh my God."

"What?"

"How did you know?"

"How did I know what?"

"That these are fish testicles?"

"No way. Really?"

"Yup."

"I just said the first disgusting thing that popped into my head!"

"Wow. That's a coincidence."

"These are really fish testicles?"

"Yup."

"You're not just jerking me around?"

"Nope."

"We're eating fish testicles?"

"Yup."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Ya know, they're not bad."

"Yeah, there's actually kind of good."

But we didn't order seconds.

No comments: