Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

There's an article today at Yahoo news that's really gotten me thinking.

This article says that, in the entire DVD industry, only 35% of the profits come from theatrical films. The article then goes on to imply that the reamining 65% of profits come from straight-to-DVD crap.

This has just amazed me. I had no idea that straight-to-DVD crap was so popular.

The article then goes on to tell us that, because of this, many movie studios are starting to really ramp up their straigh-to-DVD sections, especially in pumping out straight-to-DVD sequels to already popular movies. Some examples:

- Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, a sequel to 1993's Carlito's Way, came out yesterday.
- American Pie 4 comes out straight-to-DVD in December
- Sony Studios is making straight-to-DVD sequels to the classic thrillers Single White Female and 8 MM.

But then, the article elaborates that it's not all crappy sequels...Lion's Gate and Mainframe Entertainment are doing quite well with their straight-to-DVD Barbie movies...Disney is doing well with their Baby Einstein educational videos for infants...Paramount Pictures is making big bucks with straight-to-DVD stand-up comedy concert films.

But what I really want is a complete breakdown. OK, so 35% of their revenues comes from theatrical films. The other 65% can't all be straight-to-DVD crap. I'm sure TV shows on DVD are in there, as are various anime titles, and let's be honest, porn, too, is big on DVD.

So, I really want to see the complete statistics now as to how much money is made off of what kind of content on DVD.

No comments: