Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, December 10, 2004

OK, I just want to take a quick minute to comment on some of the latest trailers I've watched online:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The new movie version of the classic Roald Dahl novel, as brought to the big screen by my man Tim Burton. I can honestly say this is the most fucked up trailer I've ever watched. I mean, it's a striking visual design. We're talking old-school Tim Burton, back in his Beetlejuice/Edward Scissorhands days. What makes it really fucked up is the song. It's a very obvious Danny Elfman tune all about Willy Wonka, and it's sung in some very high pitched, squeaky voices. And Johnny Depp looks very feminine as Willy Wonka. But I'll be there to see it, if only because I love Tim Burton.

War of the Worlds - Ahh, the newest movie version of the H.G. Wells classic. Directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise. This news would get me excited...if it weren't for the fact that I'm one of the few people on this planet that thought Minority Report was really lame. This trailer, however, does look pretty good. Nice and creepy. It's looking kind of like Independence Day, only deadly serious. And apparently the narration is text taken straight from the original novel! Call me cautiously optimistic on this one.

Cars - OK, the teaser for Pixar's next has been out for a month now, but I thought I'd comment on it. I normally love Pixar, but this teaser has me thinking one thing: "Wow, this actually looks very lame." (I need a new slang term for "not good.") Talking cars. Woo. Cracking lame jokes. Woo. Amazingly, though, this is not the first Pixar teaser that disappointed me. I also thought the first teaser for Finding Nemo was incredibly lame. So, Pixar just gave themselves six more months with this one. Prove me wrong, John Lasseter!

Next Issue...Should Get On That Christmas List

No comments: