Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, January 30, 2005

So, I'm flying my flags in my apartment.

For those who've never had the pleasure of visiting in my dorm room back in the day, or in my apartment in Japan, I have a Canadian flag and a German flag. They are always thumbtacked to my wall, cuz they look cool. On more than one occasion in Japan, I toyed with taking them out of my apartment and hanging them in my classroom.

Anyway, my parents came to visit me today and drop off my stuff, and Mom was looking at my flags. She had to make the comment that my time in Japan isn't represented. And I'm forced to agree.

I'd really like to get a flag of Japan to add to my collection. In my final month, when I was packing up and starting to do some serious shopping for souvineers for the family, I was t-h-i-s close to buying one for myself. I don't know why I didn't. I think I thought that I'd go back for one...but never did.

But I can still get one. I'm sure there's a flag shop in Edmonton that's sure to have one. It's now officially on my "to do" list!

My parents also brought the batch of DVDs I bought online back during
Christmas. I've just finished watching Godzilla: Tokyo SOS. I
think I told you about this. This was 2003's Godzilla movie, and a direct
sequel to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Essentially, what happens is the
ruler's of Mothra's island come to Tokyo and say, "You fools! By using the
corpse of the original Godzilla to build Mechagodzilla, you have tampered
with the natural order of things! Return original Godzilla's body to the
sea, so he can rest in peace! Mothra will defend you from Godzilla." And
then, it launches into all these spiritual considerations about the creation
of Mechagodzilla and if they really did disturb a grave. It ends with
Mechagodzilla once again going out of control (ie original Godzilla's spirit
re-asserting itself), and killing himself.

Granted, this subject has been dealt with a dozen better ways in a dozen
other movies, but it's heavy shit for a Godzilla movie.

And I watched the other DVD, Star Wars: The Ewok Adventures. This disc has the two Ewok TV movies from the mid-80s. I watched the second one, called Ewoks: the Battle for Endor. You can really tell with these movies that George Lucas was gearing up for Willow. They're a lot more fantasy-based than sci-fi-based. Magical little rock, that forrest moon of Endor. It was filled with giants, fairies, wizards and witches.

Ahh...Willow. That's a movie I like, but not love. I'll buy it on DVD someday...as soon as I see it for $8 in a discount bin.

Next Issue...Caravan of Courage

No comments: