Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Firstly, sorry, but the column's going to be a day late this week. Why? Because the station was kind enough to give me the long weekend off, so I went home to Entwistle. Greetings from the basement!

But there is some good. On my way back, managed to stop at Future Shop and get my whole Lord of the Rings trilogy. *Really* wanted the boxed set, but because I couldn't find it on Boxing Day, I snapped up Fellowship thinking, "Guess I have to buy them individually." And then, the boxed set came out on February 8. But, at least with that, the individual films were marked down to a new, lower price, so I managed to fish Two Towers and Return of the King out of the discout bin. Still got a cool $35 on my Christmas gift card.

It's amazing how much the "wait for the boxed set" mentality is gripping the DVD community. Back when Star Wars came out in September, a lot of my friends at school said, "Nope. I'm not buying it. I'm gonna wait until Episode III comes out, then I'll buy the boxed set of all 6 films." Which was really, kinda, George Lucas's original logic for not wanting to release the films on DVD in the first place.

I'm still gripped by that mentality, though. Saving my pennies right now so I can get The Matrix boxed set, and I'm patiently waiting for the Kill Bill boxed set. This fall, they say.

Anyway, who watched Enterprise back on Friday? They finally explained why Klingons on the original series don't have bumpy foreheads. As you may recall, earlier this season, some augments (Kahn's genetically enhanced breed of humans) went on a rampage and took out a Klingon Bird of Prey. Apparently, this freaked out the Klingons. So, they got their hands on some augment embryos, did a little reverse engineering, and voila! Genetically augmented Klingons, designed to deal with humans. And the side effect: no bumpy foreheads.

Anyway, the whole plot of the show was how this genetic engineering done by the Klingons accidentally created a super-virus, so the Klingons abducted Dr. Phlox to develop a cure. Enterprise is in hot pursuit. Meanwhile, Starfleet's shadowy secret police, Section 31, seems to be involved somehow, and we've leared that Lt. Reed is actually a founding agent! (Although, he's going through a bit of the angtsy, "I keep trying to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!")

I don't know if Enterprise actually has gotten better this season, or if all the continuity whoring to win back the fans just makes it seem better.

Oh, and before I go, a little DVD tidbit. As I'm sure I've said before, Tuesday is when Disney releases their latest batch of dubbed Studio Ghibli films: Naussica of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso and The Cat Retursn. With these DVDs, Disney is setting up a mail-away offer. Buy all 3, and you can get a free copy of either Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service or Castle in the Sky. So if you don't own any of the Disney dubbed Ghibli films, here's your chance to buy three and get one free.

Next Issue...Next Column

No comments: