Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, May 02, 2004

Wow. Here's more DVD news for my sister. The cavalcade of classic cartoons coming to DVD just keeps on rolling. We've already got Transformers and G.I. Joe and Jem just came out. And now, my sister's all-time favourite is coming. On July 27, be sure to run down to your local store and buy....

Garfield and Friends: Volume 1

This 3-disc set will contain the first 24 episodes of the Garfield and Friends cartoon. The set is completely devoid of bonus features. All you get is the trailer for the live-action movie coming out this summer.

Yeah, Garfield was my sister's big thing when she was a kid. If it had Garfield on it, she had to have it. She's already made it clear that I'm the one who has to drag her to the live-action movie this summer, mainly because, in her own words, "[I'm] the only one in the family that still makes time to go to movies."

Anywho, let's get to this week's column! This is one I've had on the backburner for a few months now. It's called Meeting Totoro: Part I - Getting There is Half the Fun:

"One of my goals while in Japan was to visit the Studio Ghibli Museum. Studio Ghibli, of course, is the animation studio responsible for such worldwide hits as My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and the recent winner for Best Animated Picture, Spirited Away. I had read stories online about the Museum, and, after a glowing review from my predecessor, it seemed like something worth checking out. After I had done the research, I learned that it was in a sleepy little suburb of Tokyo called Mitaka. And, I also knew that it was so popular, tickets had to be purchased a month in advance. But where to get the tickets? I went to the Studio Ghibli Museum website, but all of their information in English was for buying tickets from overseas. As was always the case when I needed translation, I called up Mr. Anderson and asked him to translate the needed information for me. Once he finished chiding me for having not learned the katakana alphabet (“My sister learned in one hour, you lazy wanker!” I believe was his exact quote) he told me that they were available from any Lawson’s store. Sadly, he lived far away and could not accompany me to Lawson’s to buy my ticket. There was only one person who lived in Kumagaya who could help me now…."

Ooo! Who was it? Read it and find out!

Next Issue....The Adventure Continues

No comments: