Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, May 31, 2004

Alright, folks! It's that time agian! Latest column's up! This week, I'm Losing My Religion:

"Every once in a while, something comes along, and it makes you question your devotion. You look up to the heavens and you ask, “Why? Why have I followed you all these years? Do you even believe in me anymore? Why? Why?” I was recently faced with one of these moments. It was one of these times where I just couldn’t understand going on anymore. I just don’t know why I keep blindly following the same thing, week after week. I’m just fed up. I can’t take it. It’s time for me to stop following Star Trek."

Read what led to this tragic turn of events!

And I gotta share this. Today, I found a great website called TV Tome. It's nothing but episode guides to your favourite TV shows! And, the cool thing I discovered was that, for an anime, it'll list every change made in every episode to make it more suibtable for broadcast. Wow. In the original Japanese episodes of Pokemon, I had no idea that Misty bitch-slapped Ash that much! Here's some of the big changes made to the movies to make them more suibtable for North America:

The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back - In the original Japanese version, Mewtwo constantly doubts the existence of God. This was due to the fact he was grown in a lab.

The Movie 2000: The Power of One - In the original Japanese version, Lugia's cry is an electronic blend of whale song, dolphin cries, and human voices. In the North Amercian version, it's whale song remixed to resemble the film's main orchestral theme.

the Movie 3: Spell of the Unown - In the North American version, Molly's father works diligently to find the Unown because they abducted his wife; Molly's mother. In the original Japanese version, Molly's mother is at an asylum because Molly's father's quest to find the Unown drove her insane!

4Ever: Celebi: The Spirit of the Forest - In the original Japanese version, time travel was regarded as a magical thing, resulting in our young time traveller dismissing his trip to the future as a dream. In the North American version, time travel is treated much more literally, thus reinforcing the idea that our young time traveller was in fact the young Professor Oak. (And setting up a wacky time loop in the process.)

And here's just an interesting tidbit. OK, so, in the original Japanese version of Pokemon, Ash is named "Satoshi" and his rival Gary is named "Shigeru." They are named after Satoshi Tajiri, creator of the Pokemon video games, and Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the Super Mario games! These two characters were so-named as a little jab at Miyamoto, because, with the cartoon, Pokemon became bigger than Mario!

Next Issue...Bigger than Bonk

No comments: