Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, June 02, 2008

Monday Morning Catch-Up


At work, I've got these Justice League action figures on my desk. Wonder Woman is the only one that came with a base so you can stand her up, what with her tiny, dainty feet and all that. I came in this Monday morning to find that the figures had been knocked over. Happens all the time...the janitors probably just bumped the desk while dusting. Sadly, though, I found Wonder Woman's base had gone missing, and she now had no way of standing up.

So I grabbed this little bit of Athabasca University swag I had lying around my desk, wrapped her kung-fu grip around it, and now she can stand on her own two feet. She's actually more stable than she's ever been.

Only downside is, Wonder Woman now looks like she's working her way through college.


I do so love my fast food, so I feel I've got to highlight this story going around.

KFC Canada and PETA have now reached an agreement to make KFC in Canada more animal-friendly.

Some of the new initiatives KFC is undertaking is they're going to use "controlled atmosphere killing" to slaughter chickens. According to the news, "controlled atmosphere killing" is gassing them to death, which PETA calls the most humane way to slaughter a chicken.

KFC also has to form an animal welfare advisory panel to make sure that these things are carried out.

the one thing that I'm most interested about is they also have to introduce a vegan-friendly, faux-chicken item to their members. Being a fast food junkie who has sampled the vegan alternatives from time to time, I'm actually excited about that.

Once again, this is just KFC Canada. While other KFC's around the world have decided not to cave to PETA's demands, KFC in Canada went, "hold on here, let's here what they have to say," and had seven months of negotiations. they were able to do this because KFC in Canada is owned by a different company that KFC in the USA.

So, there you go! KFC in Canada is now the most humane fast food place.

Here's the Canadian Press's story on the matter.

Here's PETA's official statement.


And hey! My collection of Tim Burton films on DVD is finally going to fill in a very notable gap.

Beetlejuice is finally getting a special edition DVD!

Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition hits store shelves on September 16. It has a brand-new anamorphic widescreen transfer, and a new 5.1 surround sound mix. It's kind of scant on bonus materials, though. All you get is an music-only track, the original trailer, and 3 episodes of the Beetlejuice cartoon.

Now all I need are special editions of Mars Attacks! and Sleepy Hollow and my collection will be complete!

No comments: