Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, June 12, 2005

In case you don't watch TV or anything, I think it's important that I tell you that Howl's Moving Castle is now in theatres. I was really, really shocked that I saw commercials for it on TV. "Opens in select cities on June 10, everywhere on June 17."

Naturally, I'm reading movie reviews online, and I'm surprised that the reviews are coming up on the negative side. A generalization could go like this: "While still better than most American animated films, and visually dazzling, it's just not as good as Spirited Away." I just read Roger Ebert's review. Roger Ebert (first of "Siskel and Ebert" and now of "Ebert and Roper") has always been a very vocal supporter of Hayo Miyazaki's. Back in 1993, I was still religously watching Siskel and Ebert and I still remember his superlative-filled, nearly orgasmic review of My Neighbour Totoro. And now, reading his review of Howl's Moving Castle, I could feel the pain in his words as he wrote, "This is not Miyazaki's best."

I don't care. I'm still going to see it if/when it comes to Edmonton.

Speaking of reviews, early reviews are coming for Batman Begins. Direct from Ebert's review: "This is the fifth Batman movie, but the first to get it right." Ebert even goes as far to say "As good as Spider-Man 2." Oh, I am SO there!

And this has been known for a while now, but I've failed to report on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong coming out this Christmas. Well, you'll be able to get your first glimpse of it very, very soon. The first trailer will be in front of Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

No comments: