Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, July 08, 2003

I have been 26 year old for a day now. I did absolutly nothing for my birthday. I just kind of sat around the house, trying to drive myself insane. I'd think weird thoughts, like "Wow. The majority of my DVDs are animated films. What kind of 26 year old has more animated movies on DVD than a soccer mom?" I'm always reminded of what some guy said in an Ain't It Cool News message board: "Who should we be more worried about: the man who rents 8 hours of porn, or the man who rents 8 hours of Disney films?"

But, at least being back in a small town, it's easy to get embroilled in small town politics, especially when you're a passionate young man with a lot of free time. Today's small town political issue is the Entwistle Public Library. Did you know that the Entwistle Public Library has purchased no new books in the past 3 years? Add to that the fact that the Regional Library Board has done an audit of the Entwistle Library and determined that 92% of the library's books are too old to be lent out and/or out of date. (And they have serious doubts about the remaining 8%.) It's not that they don't have the money. The problem is the three little old ladies who comprise Entwistle's Library Board are hoarding their money and don't see any need to bring the library into the 20th Century. (That's not a typo. I'm being sarcastic.)

Ya know, a year and a half ago, I made the New Year's Resolution to read more. To fill such a goal, naturally the first stop I made was the library. I haven't been back since. Do you know why? Because one afternoon of browsing told me that they have nothing I want; that I'd be better off driving the one hour into Edmonton and dropping $100 at Chapters each month. And that's just not right.

Next issue...Mark vs. Hulk

No comments: