Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Had an infinitly frustrating day at school. My big goal was to finally finish producing my show's opening. But, no matter how hard I tried, it just wasn't coming out...cool enough. After I got some outside opinions, concensus was clear: my voice isn't right for it. It needs to be more agressive. So, tomorrow, I'm going to get our sportscaster guy to voice it.

I don't know. I hope this is a common problem among artists. You have this really cool idea in your head. You really want to make this. But then, when you sit down behind the mixing board or the drawing table or whatever, no matter how hard you try, it just doesn't come out cool enough. People looked at me weird when I announced that as my big goal in production class: I want the stuff I make to be as cool as I imagine it.

But, at least I got to watch some cool new trailers. I got to glimpse the ones for the next big CGI films coming out next year. My thoughts?

Robots - This is the latest from Chris Wedge, the man who gave us Ice Age. I thought Ice Age was kind of lame, but the trailer for Robots looked pretty good. The story? Young robot Rodney Copperbottom (voice of Ewan MacGregor) leaves his little country home and sets out to make a name for himself in the big city. And of course, it's in a world of robots. Robin Williams does the voice of the big city bot he hooks up with, and Halle Berry is the bot that Rodney falls in love with. We've also got Drew Carey and Mel Brooks doing voices. It's got some of the problems I've got with Shark Tale (the Halle Berry bot looks a lot like Halle Berry), but it actually looks very good. And, like Aladdin, I think Robin Williams is going to make this film. It hits theaters next spring.

Madagascar - This'll be the next from DreamWorks, those who did Shark Tale and the Shrek films. It's about a group of animals from the New York City Zoo who actually like their life in captivity. But, when some psychotic penguins wanting to be free unleash them in the wild, the animals are helpless. We've got Ben Stiller as a lion, David Schwimmer as a giraffe, Chris Rock as a zebra, and Jada Pinket Smith as a hippo. (Hmmm... I originally read that Madonna was doing to do this voice.) Anyway, looks a lot like Shark Tale, with that same sarcastic humour running through it. Very striking design to it, though. This'll be a cheap theatre selection.

And then I played more Pokemon. Oh my God. I finally ran into Latias tonight. For those who don't know, Latias is one of the legendary pokemon. She and her brother Latios were the stars of Pokemon 5. Anyway, when you finsih Pokemon: Sapphire Edition, Latias begins randomly appearing. And I finally bumped into her tonight. Hurled a pokeball, didn't catch her. But, I made a surprising discovery.

In the games, when you encounter a pokemon, that pokemon is added to your pokedex. After Latias left, I opened up my pokedex to see Latias, and guess what I discovered?

My pokedex now tracks Latias.

I can hunt her down and try to catch her whenever I want now! Woo hoo!

Next Issue...Latias!!

No comments: