Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Latest column's up! This week's is Welcome to the Conformity Factory:

"My favourite book is 1984, so that right there should tell you a lot about me. If you’ve never read it, it follows the adventures of Winston Smith as he lives under the thumb of an oppressive regime. One of the key locales in the book is the Ministry of Love. This is the government agency that catches dissidents, tortures them to within an inch of their lives, and just generally beats them into submission. The whole goal of this is to make a person a happy, uncreative, unthinking worker drone in society. They strive to make everyone look the same, act the same, and think the same.

Sounds kinda like school, doesn’t it?"

Read it all here!

You may notice it's a hell of a lot shorter than most of my other columns. That's mainly because I'm writing now writing for The Nugget, NAIT's Student Newspaper, and complaint #1 from Nugget staff and NAIT students is "Too long." (And too many big words and it makes them think.) So, I'm going to try to start making them shorter so they'll be more "print friendly." And also, so they fit in more with the NAIT crowd, more crude language and dick and fart jokes. Hey, if it works for Kevin Smith....

So, yeah. I'm news editor for the Nugget, which means I'm the only real reporter. They want three news stories from me a week, but I figure I'll submit two stories and my column. I had a little panic attack when I got the job, but after conferring with my news instructor, she helped me realize that, given the Nugget's target audience, this is not a job I do not have to knock myself out doing.

Did I mention that I watched the series premiere of Justice League Unlimited back on Friday? The new Justice League is going to rock! The first episode was a real geek-out affair, as we saw the new Watchtower, the new fleet of Javalins, and, at long last, Green Arrow. Not a big fan of the new electric-guitar heavy score, though. Sounds like contemporary early-90s cartoons.

Next Issue...Battles with Editor

No comments: