Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Just when I think Japan is done and in the past, something happens to trigger a flashback. We're talkin' an LSD induced style flashback.

Just the way it is today. So grey, so rainy, and then I walked into the post office.... Just one whiff of the air in the post office and suddenly I was in the Kumagaya central post office, sending postcards home.

I swear, the company probably slipped something in my food to trigger flashbacks like this, to inspire loyalty or something like that.


So have I mentioned that I've been watching a lot of The Lone Gunmen? I really, really, really liked that show. I just finished listening to all the running commentaries, and they actually made me feel screwed.

On several commentaries, they go, "Oh, man, there's some great cut scenes from this episode! Oh, those cut scenes were good!" One of the best episodes of the show involves the Gunmen having to infiltrate a tango contest, and on the running commentary, the writers say, "There's so many cut scenes from this episode that we were T-H-I-S C-L-O-S-E to making it a two-parter." In what turned out to be the final episode broadcast, they mention that there's a cut scene that finally explained the mysterious origin of Yves Adele Harlow and that it was completely different from the mysterious origin they gave her when they wrapped up all the Lone Gunmen loose ends on The X-Files. (Something that the fans always suspected, because the origin finally given in The X-Files seemed slighly out of synch with the hints that were dropped in The Lone Gunmen)

But, despite all this talk of great cut scenes, there are none on the DVD.

Oh, well. I guess we can consider it miraculous that we got this DVD at all, so I won't be picky. They even mention how it was an uphill battle to dedicate an episode of The X-Files to wrapping up the loose ends. What finally won them the battle was when they said, "Look, these were very popular characters on The X-Files before they had their own show, this is going to be their only appearance in the final season of X-Files, and we're going to kill them."

I have The Lone Gunmen on DVD. I've watched it a dozen times now. And I'm grateful to have it.


Today's trivial trivia from Wikipedia:

The three geographic regions that we've seen in the Pokemon cartoon (Kanto, Johto and Hoenn) are all modeled after geographic regions of Japan (the Kanto plains, the area around Mt. Fuji, and the island of Kyushu).

No comments: