Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Phantom

So, I see in the Edmonton Journal that The Phantom of the Opera is coming back to Edmonton. I'd kind of like to go, if only to rub it in the face of Robert Twerdoclib.

Ya gotta go back in time about 15 years. Phantom of the Opera was absolutly huge. The first Canadian touring show was making its only Alberta stop in Calgary. Mr. Twerdoclib - being the grade 8 homeroom teacher - decided to take the grade 8 class down to Calgary to see it. I was in grade 9 at the time, and a remarkable opportunity arose.

Two grade 8 kids cancelled...they couldn't go. So Mr. Twerdoclib decided to have an essay contest for the grade 9 students. If memory serves, it was 2 pages on what you like about Canada. Naturally, I decided to throw my hat in the ring.

About a week later, as I was getting ready to go home for lunch, Mr. Twerdoclib cornered me and asked me to come into his classroom. Befuddled, I did. Mr. Twerdoclib had me stand before his grade 8 class, and he proceeded to ream me out over how poor my essay was, before he announced that I lost. I left in tears.

I lost a lot of respect for Robert Twerdoclib that day. I've just never been a fan of the public humiliation school of teaching.

About a year later, the Phantom finally made its way to Edmonton. Then, just about everyone went to see it. I was in high school, Mr. Twerdoclib was no longer my teacher, but I just couldn't help but think, "Not so fancy now, is it, Twerdy?"

So that's why I want to see The Phantom of the Opera some day. Just so I can send out a nice, big "fuck you" to Robert Twerdoclib.

No comments: