Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, August 15, 2004

First things first. Latest column's up! This week, we've got Losing the Magic:

"That’s what it’s all about really. Not so much magic as it is faith. We as a society are losing our faith. For me, personally, this all goes back to Christmas movies. Compare the original Miracle on 34th Street with its 1994 remake. In the original, Santa Claus is saved when he starts getting all these letters addressed to him, and postman after postman delivers them into the courtroom. “Since the government recognizes this man as Santa and delivers Santa’s mail to him, this court must also recognize him as Santa,” says Santa’s lawyer. And the judge agrees. There’s a leap of faith involved in that. But in the 1994 remake, Santa’s lawyer instead makes a very long, boring speech about the nature of faith. No parade of postmen delivering letters here. We couldn’t make the leap of faith that our letters get to Santa anymore. Instead, we had to be told what faith is."

Here's the whole thing!

Now, just to get this on paper. I've been doing some more plotting for my radio show this fall. One of the first things I'm going to have to do is set aside an afternoon, park myself in a studio, and transfer some of my favourite songs on cassette onto CD. We don't have a cassette player hooked into the mixing board, so this is what I have to do if I want to get the campus grooving to that 1990 classic, Turtle Power.

And I had another great idea for splitters tonight. They're doing these ones on Joe FM right now that I want to rip off. They go like this:

Announcer: Hey! Have you seen (movie that JOE gave away passes to)?
(play sound clip from movie)
Announcer: Alright, now back to the music. This is 92.5 JOE FM, playing anything.

So, I'm going to do this for Chaos in a Box, only using sound clips from my favourite short-lived TV shows that I now own on DVD. Mainly, Clerks: The Animated Series, The Tick, and The Critic. For example....

Me: Did you ever watch the Clerks cartoon?
Randall: If you were Steven Tyler from Aerosmith and could therefore sleep with any woman on the planet, who would you choose? Me? I'd choose Liv Tyler.
Me: I loved that show. Now back to Chaos in a Box.

And before I go, one last gasp for my weekend of animation. Ain't It Cool News just posted some really cool concept art for Disney's upcoming animated film Rapunzel Unbraided. It's really cool art, but that title just screams "Shrek knock-off."

Next Issue...Wowie

No comments: