Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Well, I'm back from Mom's awards ceremony. She enjoyed it a lot more than she thought she would...I even got to shake my MLA's hand and personally thank him for giving me my Centennial Flag.

But yup, Mom won the Alberta Centennial Medal. And I found exactly what they mean by "recognized by Riedeau Hall." That means it's a REAL medal. You can wear it proudly along side your Order of Canada, Order of Quebec, or any other medal, and not commit any breeches in protocal.

35 in total were given out in the Stony Plain constiuency. Mom got hers for her many years on the school board, the library board, and the dozen other boards. There were many volunteer firefighters, who won it for their 30+ years of service, former mayors and county councillors, and even an 8-year old who wrote a book and donated the profits to the children's hospital.

But it was great, and it got me thinking about the various awards I've won in my life. As I'm sure you know, I was one of those darn honour students in school, and I got a few awards for my big marks.

But I only won one trophy.

Granted, trophies aren't given out very often for high marks, but they were quite common in my school...except in the years I won. In those years, they switched to medals. And then, in high school, it was nothing but plaques.

But I only won one trophy. It was for having the highest marks in the class in grade 8.

Don't get me wrong, the plaques and medals were nice, but I just got one trophy.

So, I figure that someday, when I'm making lots of money, I'm going to have my own awards ceremony, and I'm going to give trophies to all my friends.

Everyone's got to have at least one trophy. Yeah, their austentatious and arrogant, but everyone has to win at least one.

No comments: