Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, July 08, 2004

OH MY GOD. The movie news I've been waiting for my whole life has finally been announced.

THEY'RE MAKING ANOTHER POLICE ACADEMY MOVIE!

With the current successes of movies featuring stupid law enforcement professionals (i.e. Charlie's Angels and Starsky and Hutch), they figure the time is prime to bring back the definitive movies featuring stupid law enforcement professionals of the 1980s. Series creator Paul Maslansky is already onboard as executive producer. No word on plot yet, but the speculation is look for a group of the originals training the next generation.

For those who suppressed the memory, the first Police Academy movie was yet another rip-off of National Lampoon's Animal House, with the setting changed to a big city police academy. To the befuddlement of the entire world, the film spawned six sequels, a cartoon, and a live-action TV show. It still stands as one of my favourite memories of the 1980s though, with series star Officer John Mahoney (as played by Steve Guttenberg) being one of the idols of my youth.

And seriously, the Police Academy Main Theme is still one of my all-time favourite movie themes. Some day, when I make my movie about the hell that is high school, at the climactic graduation scene, I'm going to play the Police Academy Theme instead of Pomp and Circumstance.

Next Issue..."The future is an amazing place. Police Academy 37 just came out."

No comments: